Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sick of tired of being sick and tired

So the girls and I had a cold for about 1 1/2 weeks. It was just the head cold, sneezing, running nose, etc. Then it went all away for all of us and then this last Friday I got sick again!!! This time it was a full blown running nose and sneezing fit. My eyes watered and my nose was a always running. Then Monday roles around and my nose finally is starting to get better (hooray). But instead I traded it for a cough and horseness. Then my tooth starts to ache when I move. Not by eating, but by taking heavy steps, hoping, etc. At first I was thinking, great I need to make an appointment with the dentist. Then my right side of my face (check, nose, and forehead) were sore to the touch. Thinking I am just about to fall apart and I can't take any more pain causing sickness. Then I remember hum... this seems really familiar. I remember about 2 1/2 years ago (while I was pregnant with Avy) having similar symptoms and my dentist saying, "Your tooth is fine. Maybe you have a SINUS INFECTION."

Apparently sinus infections are very common for pregnant women. If you are really interested on how I feel read below some of the side effects of this lovely infection.

"You're coughing and sneezing and tired and achy. You think that you might be getting a cold. Later, when the medicines you've been taking to relieve the symptoms of the common cold are not working and you've now got a terrible headache, you finally drag yourself to the doctor. After listening to your history of symptoms and perhaps doing a sinus x-ray, the doctor says you have sinusitis.

Sinusitis has its own localized pain signals, depending upon the particular sinus affected. Headache upon awakening in the morning is characteristic of sinus involvement. Pain when the forehead over the frontal sinuses is touched may indicate inflammation of the frontal sinuses. Infection in the maxillary sinuses can cause the upper jaw and teeth to ache and the cheeks to become tender to the touch. Since the ethmoid sinuses are near the tear ducts in the corner of the eyes, inflammation of these cavities often causes swelling of the eyelids and tissues around the eyes and pain between the eyes. Ethmoid inflammation also can cause tenderness when the sides of the nose are touched, a loss of smell, and a stuffy nose. Although the sphenoid sinuses are less frequently affected, infection in this area can cause earaches, neck pain, and deep aching at the top of the head. " http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/946414028.html

Sounds like fun right?? So there has to be some good to all of this... at least I am not contagious and can be more active without fearing making others feeling so crummy.

3 comments:

Jean said...

I'm so sorry!
I think being pregnant and sick is so HARD!

Lake said...

You know it is funny! I never get really sick until I am pregnant. Funny how that happens.

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

Poor girl!!! Isn't it great what pregnancy does to us? There always seems to be something. I hope you get feeling better.