Here is a little flash back... way back 20 years ago...
I remember when I was in Kindergarten. I remember my favorite recess guard (Mrs. Debbie) and I remember my teacher (Mrs. Evans) and her husband was a police man. I remember saying riddles and being the sheriff for clean up time and the stars we would get on the chart for doing well! I remember the happy show and tell yellow box and bringing my dog Tiffany to school. I remember going out in the hall and working on writing my name (my parents didn't teach me how so I was behind). I DO NOT REMEMBER ALL THE PRESSURE!
Now a days they wants kids reading (yes reading), sight words, blending words, and 1 minute time test! They want them to know numbers from 1-100 and to be able to write them not in order! Brooklyn's half day class does the same work load as the full day class, which means a lot less time playing with friends and a lot more time rushing through work sheets. I remember worrying if little Justin liked me and how to stay away from him during kiss tag. My worries seem so much more simpler then now a days.
Brooklyn has a Math tutor for after school and an extra teacher she works with during school hours to work on her blending! Yes I know I am the mother and could put my foot down at her parent teacher conferences and yes I have voiced my concern, that she is just 5! That is great for all the kids who can read (I think that is amazing and they deserve much praise) but should my daughter be pressured into it? I don't think she is ready and she really really dislikes working with me on Homework. BUT I would rather they cared about her, then not caring at all (that is the only reason why I let them give her extra help). However, Learning is not fun to her! I remember loving school because I loved Kindergarten. I fear she will hate to learn even before she starts...
Kindergarten isn't what it use to be
4 comments:
Maybe you see the preschool popularity now??LOL
Either direction it is frustrating. Kindergarten can be a hard year no mater which side of the debate....my complaint the whole time was that it should have been more challenging! ah, spice of life :)
Kindergarten is definitly not what it use to be. I hope things get better for her!
It breaks my heart that kindergarten hasn't been fun for Brooklyn! Keep chugging along, she will catch on!
I hope it's okay I stole this picture of Brooklyn for the Primary activity this Saturday. :) Ruth Lynne already got a picture of Avy 2 weeks ago, but I need a picture of each of the kids. :)
Post a Comment